Saturday, January 11, 2020

Rocks and Salt



  This fall Jim and I had a wonderful opportunity to travel up the North Shore of Lake Superior.  It was a nice getaway for us after a hectic summer.  There are a lot of things about the trip that I really liked.  A small thing, which turned out to be even better than expected, were the smooth rocks I gathered on the shore of the big lake.

  The rocks and the way they fit so perfectly in my hand, reminded me of my childhood
 pocket salt.  My dad had salt licks for the cattle.  We chidden would take a rock and knock a piece on the salt off of the block.  This we would carry around and lick when we wished.  After a time it would become so smooth and just right in the hand.  We could easily identify our own "licks".

  So that was a fun little memory.  But also, I had in mind to let the children paint them for a fill in pastime project, when all were here over the Holidays.  It worked out beautifully.  The rocks were easy to put away, and come back to when time permitted.  Some of them were done expertly and will make beautiful gifts.  Others were just fun.

  Jesus is a most beautiful Rock; one to stand on most securely when things seem to be falling apart.
Not only that, but He provides little rocks of salt, to come alone side us when we need bolstering.
We are called to be the salt of the earth.  Be salty for someone.


Matt 5:13a  You are the salt of the earth....

No comments:

Post a Comment