Monday, March 23, 2020

Surgery, Ugly and To the Point



  Well, I told you that you would get a blow by blow account after DBSS I had on Monday 3/16/20.
First of all, forgive me that I have not been too regular of late with my postings.  It has been a bazaar couple of weeks...for all of us.

  It was only by the grace of God that I got the first surgery done.  Lockdown, because of COVID-19, came the very next day.  My surgery was not critical so it would have had to wait indefinitely.  After the first surgery was done, the second became a crucial part of the set.  If that one waited too long I would have had too much scar tissue surrounding the wires for the doctor to move them to the area where he hooked them up to the battery.  So on 3/20/20 I had the second surgery also.

  The first surgery to implant the wires into the "sweet spot" in my brain was an awake surgery.  I needed to be fully conscious to do the things they needed for proper placement; things like, say the days of the week, touch my nose, write my name and draw a spiral.  It was a very difficult thing to go through, fully alert to all the sights and sounds.

  A halo, a metal device that encircled my head, was first fitted, marked on my head where the screws would be placed and removed.  The doctor then numbed the four areas and screwed it into my skull.  The halo was then screwed onto a frame on the surgical bed.  I had a CAT scan to make sure the co-ordinates lined up with the earlier MRI.  Once satisfied that it all line up well and I was positioned exactly, I had novocaine injected into the areas where the incisions would be made.

  Enough for today?  This kind of thing isn't for the weak stomached.  I will continue next time.

Through EVERYTHING God is in control, sovereign and good.  He is the same yesterday, today, and for always.  He never changes.  My "GO-TO" during tough times is to count my blessings with a grateful heart.  Gratitude is so important to God.  If we are grateful to Him, He knows that we trust Him.  He gives use Hope and a future.

No comments:

Post a Comment