Monday, June 1, 2020

Enjoying the Brook



  Warm weather is cracking on the scene this week.  Our transplanting time is nearly over, and a good thing too.  All the beds need weeding and some thinning... the fun is over.  Time to get to the grunt of the matter.

  This week I am disciplined in self-control via my therapists orders to garden for a brief time (5 minutes) and then rest for a time.  Although I know that it is the smart thing to do, I find myself easily frustrated by the brief interval of work, and how little I can get accomplished in it.  Yet I am hardly able to do more that that without a grinding backache.  I remain weak and to build strength I necessarily must do it slowly in a fashion that is also kind to my body.

  So, when I came across this little phrase in the Psalm, I took comfort.  The brook, not the waterfall, or the river, nor even the babbling, rocky creek bed, but the still quiet brook.  How lovely that the Savior would invite me to "take my shoes off" and drink for a still moment by the brook?

   Psalm 110:7 He shall drink of the brook by the wayside... 

  When I look back over my days, and see how much I did get accomplished, it blesses me to know  I was able to drink from the brook by the wayside.  I think stopping to rest,  refresh, and reenergize, has become a new way of viewing my current normal.  I plan to enjoy it while it is today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment